Green Hotel in St. Petersburg Strives to be a Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety. That commitment continues with the Responsible Business plan at this green hotel in St. Petersburg. To read more about the RB programme, please visit Responsible Business.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization recognised by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of Childhood is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Activities and achievements of this green hotel in St. Petersburg:
- Extensive RB Action Plan
- Separation of waste (paper, carton, oil, and other waste) for recycling
- Flow-restrictor taps in order to conserve water
- Preventative maintenance programme
- Recording and monitoring consumption of gas, electricity, water and waste
- Pro-active Responsible Business team with a member from every department in order to involve all staff in RB activities
- Use of energy-saving lamps
- Collecting empty batteries and cartridges, fluorescent lights and oil for recycling
- Providing RB training for staff
- Saving electricity and water by using washing machine only when it is full
- For housekeeping needs, the hotel uses only environmentally friendly cleaners from Ecolab®
- Energy-saving device in each room helps to save electricity
- Cards placed in bathrooms to let guests know that towels will only be changed when placed on the floor
Responsible Business is not just about the environment. The hotel also cares about people and the community.
People in Need
As part of the RB programme, the hotel assists Nochlezka (Doss-house) in their efforts to help homeless people in St. Petersburg. The hotel provides slippers, soap, shampoo, linens, towels, etc. to the facility.
Bitel - working with drug addicts to help them lead productive lives
The hotel also helps some local children's charitable foundations, such as Korchakov centre and Zeleniy mir detstva (Green World of Childhood). The hotel supplies slippers, soap, shampoo, linens, towels, uniforms, etc. unclaimed from the hotel's Lost & Found area. The hotel also conducts auctions to raise money for charity needs.
Orphan Home No. 53
The hotel has been supporting and donating to Orphan home No. 53 since 2008. The hotel plans various activities and actions in order to provide help to the orphan children. On a regular basis, the hotel conducts charity auctions and sells porcelain items covered with celebrities' paintings and signatures to raise money for the children.
Money is not the only thing the children need; they also need involvement and attention. Therefore, the hotel organises football tournaments with children from Orphan home, plants trees and develops gardens with the children, invites the children to hotel events, and attends events at their home.
The hotel houses a power heart Automated External Defibrillator (AED), a proven medical response in the event of a heart attack. The AED provides reliable, safe and intelligent cardiac monitoring and defibrillation technology that significantly protects hearts and saves lives. The easy-to-use features of the power heart AED allow virtually anyone to defibrillate heart attack victims quickly and efficiently, dramatically improving the chances of survival from a heart attack. Front office staff at the hotel and all managers on duty have been trained in using the AED to ensure that staff is able to act promptly in an emergency situation.